Thursday, May 10, 2007

4th Tense..

As usual during my general analysis about my own behavior, I observed one thing. How many tenses I live in?

Though there are three tenses that we learn since childhood, I found myself floating in different tenses.
One is Past tense - where any past event or matter just comes in front me and then I sometimes enjoy and sometimes suffer from the past.

Second is Future tense - where I dream of something, I see myself at some place. Sometimes I try to work towards it or sometimes I try to just enjoy with that imagination or sometimes I feel disappointed if that is a very distant dream.

Third is my aim - the present tense - the current moment. I am writing this in this present moment.

While the last tense that I found, really doesn't exist. I mean if we choose, we can see its presence and if we choose to stay with reality, it doesn't exist.
"If this had happened Or If she had come Or If I had been there with you Or If they had played a shot like this Or If .... etc.." ---- "Then... this could had been different, I could had enjoyed.. we could had won...and so on.." It is not future nor past and definitely it is not present. It is the gone moment where I imagine something to happen in a different manner. It is like going back to the past with future type imagination, but this imagination can never be a reality.

So knowingly, we suffer in this tense with disappointment.

In Hindi, we know this tense with a word "काश". we many (many) times stay in this tense. Well I am taking a general term as 'we' here but let me admit that I have lived in this fourth tense many times. But my continuous effort is to stay in the 'Present Tense'.. I try my best.. and I will keep trying until I succeed.

How about you.. you felt anything like that?

~KrupA

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What you are hinting at, is the conscious choice that you make at every point in life. You decide to do this or that, and accordingly you go on a different path. You can visualize your life to be a complex flowchart in which every "decision box" forks out to a different execution flow. You get what I mean, geek?

Krupa said...

I think I am getting what you are saying. And I agree that we do make a choice to do this or that at a particular point in life..

But what about the state of 4th tense? That time is gone but is still there in your thinking and you burn your energy behind it..The flow chart can be used for Present and Future tense but what about the 4th Tense.. this post is all about it buddy...

~KrupA

Anonymous said...

The 4th tense is when you have made a choice, and are dreaming about the other branch you didnt take in the flow chart of life. Samze? Go see a workflow after it has been executed, all the non-green lines are the 4th tense :P

Krupa said...

I first learned what Workflow in SAP is and then read your comment. It makes perfect sense.

:) Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I know a wee bit of Hindi but my browser cannot read it, and I don't think I covered more than the present tense when I learned it... what you're referring to as 4th tense is what is called 'conditional' in English, and 'Konjunktiv' in German - things that only happen upon a certain condition. I suppose it can be good sometimes, because it can point us to certain things that we want to become reality in our lives, but it can also force regret and pressure upon us.

There's German proverb that goes like this: Wenn das Wörtchen 'wenn' nicht wäre, wäre mein Vater Millionär.

If the word 'if' didn't exist, my father would be a millionaire:-)

Krupa said...

Hey Jana!

Thanks for stopping by.
I don't disagree with you at all. But instead of "IF" conditioning for future events, I think "If" conditioning about the past events is what I am referring as 4th tense.
i.e.
"If she had not gone for a movie, we would had gone to a pub!"

"If he had been alive, Today I would had been doing this with him"

Some "IF's" are meetable because they might be about future, where we still haven't lose control, while some "IF's" are not meetable, because that moment is already gone and lost.

Hope I am making sense here..

prabhu.i.am said...

"If I had lived in the present, I wouldn't have spent my past contemplating so much about my future uncertainties!" ... is this what you mean by "4th tense"?

If you use your "4th tense" in a constructive sense, such as to correct your past mistakes for your future gains (e.g. NASA understanding the cause of Colombia disaster), then you should be fine. Be objective in your analysis, and not get emotional and miss out on the surprises the PRESENT has in store for you! All the Best!

Krupa said...

Sure sir..Not getting too emotional and touchy is what I am aiming for... and working for..

Thanks for the comment Mr. Prabhu!