Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The 90/10 Principle

Just remembered one article that I had read some day, thought let me share it here.

Stephen Covey has mentioned in the 90/10 Principle --
10% of life is made up of what happens to you. 90% of life is decided by how you react.

I believe in that principle completely as it is (so) practically proven. If I look back in my life - those major events, then I realize my own attributes, characteristics and learnings are based on/derived from my reactions to those major events and NOT from the events.

Many times, You hear yourself saying - 'since then' my life has changed. I have become this, become that... Those are the same moments that I am talking about.

Let me try if I can give some minor examples ~

When someone had scolded me about something, how did I take it?

  • This can show, How open am I for criticism?
  • How positively do I take the face-to-face said negative words about me?

At work, when someone got a promotion and I did not. How did I take that entire scenario? Did I try to analyze what was missing in me and improve on it?

  • My reaction in such circumstances can give the hint about how different do I think?
  • How do I tackle with the misleading negative emotions (Jealousy, Envy..)?
  • How calm and controlled am I?
  • How do I remain focused towards the right lessons in that situation?

In addition, there are many emotional milestones you face in life where you think that it is changing you from the core. Your beliefs are changing, your priorities are changing. You realize that you mature in those moments.

:) Isn't it true with you too?

!~ KrupA ~!

5 comments:

Sathish said...

mmmm... find more things happened rather than on reaction...

or do i misunderstood this?! :-?

Krupa said...

:S

I think you confused me..

Why do you think-write ..? Meaning - u right the way you think.. :P
Have patience and Wait for the right words ;)

Now, please decypher what you wrote... if u want ur misunderstanding to be cleared.. :D :)

~KrupA

Sathish said...

Confused you... mmm... well, afraid not for the first time... :(

Fortunately (unfortunately?!!) That's the only way I write...

If, have to wait for the right words, then could never ever finish... (u could see the number of posts in my blog :( ) (May be then u would have never been bothered by me... ;))

Deciphering....
More things (Friends, Schools, College, Course Subjects, Job, Promotions, Setbacks, transfers, apart from many day to day things..) they all just happened without my reactions (or lack of reactions)

So was wondering, if I misunderstood the 90/10 Principle and your examples....

Krupa said...

Yes, you have misunderstood my example.

The principle says - 10% happens to us and 90% is how we react to it. I think you always agreed that we have a choice in each situation. I think the choice covers those 90% and 10% is for that situation.

Sathish said...

Sorry, but still couldn't get it...

I think the choice covers those 90% and 10% is for that situation. ..... is that means each situation gives 9 choices?!! I am really confused...

Can you try one last time...