Monday, September 24, 2007

Frozen mania

I still remember those days when, in India, we don't eat food of more than 1.5 days. We cook every time fresh and then eat fresh food. I never used to eat left-overs.

Today, I see myself and I feel sad. In US, there are 90% of things that we eat, are Frozen. We use Microwave for anything to everything. Reheating the food is absolutely Common. Any damn weekend, I don't feel like cooking as there is some Frozen Ready to eat available in my freezer.

I hear the arguments by people - who has time to cook everyday in the busy life here? I don't disagree that life is busy. But that doesn't mean that I accept the indirect argument as in India, we have lots of time to cook. Eventually it's the same number of hours(24 hours) in a day. It has same number of 'working' hours in India too. In fact, to my experience, sometimes, there is much more time spent while commute in India. People still cook fresh everyday.

Anyway, I am not really trying to stress on why people cook fresh in India and not in US. The discrimination wasn't really what I was trying to put forth.

I think, there is a lot of Frozen food mania around. The option of getting frozen food is not doing any good to me. It is making me more lazy to cook. It doesn't give me nutrition of fresh food. It doesn't give me good fresh taste of food. Basically, no good on the cost of saving time.

I don't like this maniaaaaaaaaaaa. (I am not saying I don't have choice to cook fresh everyday, but it's not happening as there is such stupid option in front of me. I wanna change it. No more frozen food. I hope I can change it)

~KrupA

5 comments:

Sathish said...

:) ... isn't this part of evolution?...

Future??... just open... :)

Girish said...

I do not completely agree with you. Frozen food does not necessarily mean, non-nutritious food. There is a fallacy amongst us that only fresh food is full of nutrients. The truth is, the way any food is handled, decides whether it is nutritious or not.

And freezing does not cause food to lose its nutrients.

Here is an interesting article (sorry couldn't get a wiki link ;) !!)

http://www.nutritionaustralia.org/Food_Facts/FAQ/frozen_freshveg_faq.asp

Krupa said...

Yes Girish, You are right in a way. However, the article is about Frozen-raw vegetables which are not cooked. And somehow I am trying to stress on the Frozen cooked food.

And I still think, it is of no good. It just fills the stomach but doesn't give really much to the body. What say you? I am sure you will have another good article about it ;)

Achha hai.. main saval karti rahungi aur tu articles dhundhta rahega... :D :P

KrupA

Krupa said...

Sathish,

What evolution? Without nutrition, what good it is? nothing I say..

:)
KrupA

Sathish said...

Well... without nutrition, we'll become a different species to survive this earth... ;)