Saturday, September 15, 2007

Expérience à Restaurant

Maximum times when I am in a restaurant, I have nothing much to talk. I am not too talkative person (anymore), specially when there is a social meet or Professional meet.

How to pass time in the restaurant? One thing is sure - Once you place the order for food, it is going to take 20 mins (at the minimum) to serve the order. 20 minutes is such a long time to pass when you have not much to talk about.

Sometimes, I feel as if time is frozen and I go even more restless. I end up playing with the things that are placed on the table. For example, I play with the knife, fork, plate, salt, pepper. This is not enough of course. I generally order Water-with-No-ice.
(I learned this term in American restaurants. Earlier, I used to say Water-without-ice. I don't really see the difference except the other person understands the formal better.) They give a straw to drink water. (God knows why do they need a straw to simply drink water from a glass!) I play with the straw Also.

Have you done any Chemistry classes in Science during your high school? There is a
pipette in the laboratory which you use to extract water or any other chemical fluid as one drop at a time. (I had forgotten the word 'pipette' but Thanks to Girish who helped me find the right word and he is my friend who thinks wikipedia is GOD and gives wiki entry for anything to everything and anywhere to everywhere, so this link is dedicated to you Girish :-P)In the restaurant, I try to use that learned concept and use the straw as a pipette to drink one drop at a time. Sheesh!!! I am just a messy around. If I take some juice then drinking it the way I described, becomes quite ill-mannered, ain't it? (But do I care? well frankly, I do, if I am at a Professional meet, but not otherwise ;-))

Okay, playing is also done. For how long am I going to play with those things which are not toys but the things used when we eat? Note that Smiling and laughing, in between, during conversation is a continuous task. Multitasking you know!! ;-) All these activities, still don't pass all 20 minutes. Frustrated and tired of smiling, I decide to excuse myself from that place and go visit the restroom OR I start staring more at the waiter/waitress who had taken our order, hoping that they can read my eyes.

The food arrives and then everyone (who was continuously talking during those 20 minutes, who did not even have to think about passing the time) says - "Worth a wait! Food looks nice!" And I say - Nothing! I simply start eating. :P

Cheers ;-)
KrupA

6 comments:

Girish said...

Thanks for the honorable mention :)

Sathish said...

:) Yep... experienced it a lot in a professional meets... never, when with friends..

Krupa said...

I go blank many times even in a known crowd - bole to Friends..

And I have experienced it even with friends.

Not too often though :)

Sathish said...

mmm...

Nova said...

Oh My God!!!! Some people have a lot of time to write on a lot of things... lol

but that was interesting read.. took my mind to things i hadnt noticed before... ;)

Krupa said...

:D .. hmm.. yeah that's right some people are trying to take time out to write anything to everything :P:P

KrupA